Custom Search
} -->

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tips for a Long Lasting Pedicure

Hey Everyone!

I just got a pedicure last night and I wanted to share some tips to get your pedicure to last longer! Mine typically last a few weeks which I've heard from a lot of my friends is not always the case so I wanted to go over a few things I do that I think really help!

First: Choose a good nail polish brand! In my opinion some nail polish brands last a lot longer than others. It can be worth it to spend $8.50 or so for OPI or China Glaze (I hear Essie and Orly work well also) if you want your pedicure to last.

Second: You want to make sure your feet are clean and dry, especially around your toenails. If you're doing this yourself that means washing your feet in soap and water and cleaning the dirt from underneath your nails. Nail polish will chip a lot faster if it's put over dirty nails instead of dry, clean nails. If you're in a salon they usually do this but if you don't think they're doing the best job of ensuring that your nails are clean or they aren't washing off the cuticle oil enough then you should speak up. I would politely ask if they could make sure that they've removed everything.

Third: If you can without being too messy, it sometimes helps to paint the edge of your nails as well. This is easier on your fingers because the nails are usually longer, but if you can get a line of polish on the edge of the nail (I'm talking about the edge you cut not like the sides) then it can help keep your polish from chipping.

Fourth: Use a top coat! Top coats will not only make your nails look shiny they will also serve as a top layer to protect your polish.

Fifth: Every few days it may help to re-coat your nails in top coat. I would do this step before you see any chipping as a preventative measure. This is also good if you notice that your nails aren't as shiny as they were before. Sometimes after the beach or just regular wear the shine might fade. This is optional as I don't find I need to do this if I follow the other steps.

Sixth: If you are using a polish at a nail salon and you love it, I would buy that same polish. You can either buy it from that salon (sometimes they will sell it to you for a reduced price, like $6 for OPI) or from a store that sells that brand of nail polish. You can then use that polish to cover any small chips that you may have and really extend the life of your pedicures. If the color you've chosen is pricier and not a polish that you are dying to add to your collection or you can't find it (sometimes they discontinue colors) then you can definitely buy a cheaper version of a similar color to cover up chips. You'd be surprised at how well a similar color will blend in on your toes. For this purpose I like to by NYC nail polishes which are only around $1 and they have some really fun colors.

OK I think those are all the tips I can think of right now, but they should really help you all keep those pedicures looking amazing for at least an extra few days!

I'd love to hear how it's worked for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment